Paella is a traditional dish from Spain. While a traditional Paella does not usually incorporate meat, this recipe has added chicken. The delicate flavor of the saffron blended with all the other ingredients results in a one-dish meal sure to please. While the recipe seems lengthy, once all the ingredients are prepared, it really comes together quite quickly.
1 doz. each mussels and clams
1/2 cup, plus 4 tbsp. olive oil
2 oz. boneless pork, diced
2 tsp. garlic, minced
3/4 cup onions, finely chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 small each, red, green and yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
32 oz. skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. dried or fresh rosemary
1/2 tsp, dried thyme
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
24 oz. lobster claws
3 cups rice
6 cups chicken broth
1/4 tsp. saffron
2 chorizo sausages, cooked and cut into chunks
10 uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup peas
4 tbsp. capers
lemon wedges – garnish
1. Scrub and debeard the mussels and clams, set aside
2. Heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil in a medium skillet. Add the pork and brown all sides. Mix in the garlic, onions, tomato and peppers, stirring until cooked. Set aside.
3. In another skillet, heat 1/4 cup olive oil and cook the chicken until browned. Season with salt and pepper. Add in the paprika, rosemary, thyme and cumin. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
4. In the same skillet, cook the lobster claws over high heat for several minutes until the shells turn pink. Set the skillet aside.
5. Preheat oven to 400F. Heat 4 tbsp. olive oil in a skillet and sauté the rice until it is translucent. Pour in the chicken broth and combine well. Add the pork mixture stirring constantly. Sprinkle in the saffron and continue to stir until well mixed.
6. Transfer the rice to a paella pan or large skillet. Mix in the lobster, chicken, sausage, clams, mussels, shrimp, peas and capers. Combine well. Bake the paella, uncovered and on the lowest shelf for about 25 minutes or until all liquid has been absorbed.
7. Discard any mussels or clams that have not opened. Serve the paella straight from the pan, garnished with lemon slices.
Putting on the finishing touches before going into the oven and the final result.